Monday, August 10, 2009

Those That Bear Down The Hardest...

Any of you guys who know me personally know that it is difficult for me to take "no" or "that's not going to work" for an answer. Sometimes, my delivery methods may be a little skewed or abrasive, but all in all, I chalk it up to good ol' fashioned American drive and work constantly on softening the delivery while keeping the message intact. That being said, I was at an attorney's office for a closing last week, when the attorney made a comment that was very apropos to life in general.

Most of you have seen the bumper sticker that says "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History". How true that statement is. I am not an women's activist by any means, but I do expect equal treatment of my ideas and ability if they are worth it. ( I guess that could be pretty subjective :)) Anyhow, his comment was based on the following and I thought it was a neat illustration of why you need to be involved and stay at the forefront of causes you feel passionately about.

So, the story goes:

My client was signing a ton of paperwork for his loan and noticed that because there was no glass on the conference table, that the impression of his name was being engraved into the wood of the table over and over. He started his apology to the attorney and commented on how many other names joined his on the table. The attorney replied,

"Those folks that bear down the hardest, always seem to leave an impression."

Now, the attorney was talking about the physical consequence of the pen. But, I think that this applies aptly in life where those who speak up, speak out, go against the grain, etc. make the impressions that are to last. However, in the life-lesson of the comment, it doesn't indicate whether the impression was good or bad, just lasting.

I've had my share of both and it's up to us individually whether we will work toward making future impressions as we bear down the hardest for the things that touch us the most.

Brooke

No comments: