Friday, October 02, 2009

The Fountainhead...my latest EXCELLENT read...

It's been awhile since I wrote anything on what I read...and for any of you who know me-I LOVE TO READ! My friends Beth and Dave turned me on to The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, a couple of weeks ago. I won't go into an actual review and synopsis of the book, as I could go on forever on the varying themes and topics of interest. I would, however, encourage each of you to read this amazing work which is by the same author, who penned Atlas Shrugged.

Jake and I were talking about the book and came to the conclusion that what we liked most, is that she put into, amazing words, the thoughts and frustrations, that those concerned with mediocrity have felt. She speaks of "second-handers"--folks who glean ideas and prestige from society and have no thoughts of their own. Rand shows a world where the man that stands alone and works towards "greatness" is ostracized as a threat to the general good and where mediocrity is not only accepted but encouraged and propped up by the mainstream media-to use a modern term.

One of the statements from Wikipedia sums it up best.
("A world where the thought of each man will not be his own, but an attempt to guess the thought of his neighbor (...) Men will not work for money, but for prestige, the approval of their fellows - not judgment, but public polls") Toohey makes no mention of any overt dictatorship or coercive apparatus. Rather, Toohey's methods throughout the book suggest that such a regime might be able to retain the forms of democracy, multi-party elections and a free press, with actual power held by Toohey-like "informal advisers".

We see so many of our struggles today and the ridiculous nature of these ideals in the text of this book. One of my favorite pieces of dialogue in the book is one between Howard Roark (the protagonist) and Gail Wynand (tragic character with second-hander tendencies toward power) in which Roark has no interest in Wynand's propping him up financially or making social/political connections for him. Roark does not want a hand-out but goes on to say that he only wants the ability to see that success is possible, happiness and contentment are possible and that is enough to encourage his work and life.

As I said, I could go on and on, but don't want to bore you with my words when the author is so brilliant with her plots and verbiage. Anyone who is interested in the current state of our society, country and world should pick up this book and digest it's premises so that they can open their own eyes and minds to current situations, notions and trends--

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand c. 1942

**If you have read this book, please post comments and future recommendations--I would love to hear from you**

Brooke

No comments: