Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The "Real" Social Network

With so much talk about social media I felt it an appropriate time to blog about the importance of "old school" social networking! Old school in the sense that as I look across my shelves of listings and upcoming closings all of them are connected in some way, shape or form. Some are the result of a relationship established with a landscaper who maintains my vacant listings, some are friends, family members, attorneys, business associates, neighbors, church friends, high school friends and some of them are from reaching out to neighbors at listings and talking to folks at my favorite restaurant.

The point is this...everywhere I go, I am a walking billboard for the industry that I love. I told a client today that I love to solve problems, find solutions and see my transactions from start to finish and beyond. If you spend a minute with me, there is no doubt in your mind as to what I do to bring bread to the table and you will also learn why I do it....my faith, my family and my friends.

Writing a note, sending an email, calling a past client...these are all simple things that can and should be done on a daily basis. Nothing wrong with Facebook, blogging, etc. because they are necessary to the new paradigm and are fun to boot! But there is something to be said for a cup of coffee with a lender partner or a glass of wine with a small business owner to talk about what they are doing to survive.

During tough times it's natural to draw inward, to try our best to insulate ourselves from the reality of it all, but what I have learned during these challenging times, is that if I didn't get "out" and learn about our market, our challenges and our opportunities then my business would shrivel up and die on the vine. So thank you for helping me to keep on keeping on doing what I love to do...selling homes and helping buyers in our community...now that's work that socially nets dividends!

Brooke

1 comment:

hajikhatri said...

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. hype posts