Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fitz's On Main...A Welcome Addition!

Being stuck in an office or car for a long period of time isn't that much fun...but when that's what you do for a paycheck, it makes it a bit easier to swallow. You may be wondering where exactly I am going with that sentiment and I'll tell you. I have been working for days and weeks on end with no break in between until this past Easter weekend. Once Friday rolled around and the day wrapped up, I was ready for some down time. However, being the person I am, that didn't last long and I felt as if I just wasn't doing anything. But heck, it had only been a few hours! I took a deep breath, did some stuff around the house, took Maddie to see the new Hannah Montana movie, dyed eggs, you get the picture. Well, back at work on Monday, it still felt as if I were moving in slow motion as I hammered out the mound of paperwork that was the result of the properties I just put under contract. (Thank God!) Office life doesn't suit me very well, I like to think of myself as a "people person"--trite, I know, but that's what I am. So I promised myself that I would GET OUT of the office this week and enjoy the world around me--you know, "Do it differently today!"

So I did. This morning I met a great friend for breakfast, just to catch up. We had seen each other in passing over the past couple of weeks, but I looked forward to sitting down over a cup of coffee and talking. That we did--at Fitz's. If you live in Kernersville, you may already know that I am referring to our newest restaurant addition in downtown. If not, hop in your car and visit this eclectic, remake of historic Kernersville, the way it used to be and the way it should be.

Fitz's was started by none other than David Fitzpatrick, well-known and loved icon in Kernersville. Recently retired as Principal of Kernersville Elementary, his gregarious personality, coupled with his intimate knowledge of the people and places of Kernersville, make Fitz's, Kernersville's version of Mayberry's, Snappy Lunch. Lisa and I arrived around 8:45 to a full house...that is as full as a nine foot wide building can be. Formerly, Snow's, a almost 40 year old Kernersville hotdog mainstay, Fitz's has a very similar feel and menu.

Even though, a bacon-egg-cheese sandwich was not on the menu, the very cheerful waitress gladly put the order in and it came out excellent--could have maybe been a bit more "melted together" but still very good! Good coffee, service was excellent, my coffee never made it below half a cup and never got cold--a very good sign. No feelings of someone rushing you out to "turn the table" and conversation from staff and patrons was easy going, light and jovial.

So impressed, that when I saw Luann in the parking lot at the chamber around 1, we went back for lunch! Same great service, saw a ton of folks we know (the best part of eating out in Kville) and had a wonderful, messy all-beef hotdog and some of Fitz's famous homemade chips. The only negative was running out of sweet tea, which, might I mention, I didn't need anyway AND I was offered another beverage of my choice to compensate. Once again, friendly staff, great conversation from the patrons and the historic decor was great to look at. Old Justice Theatre movie bills, antique thermometers, a piece of furniture from Pinnix's Drug Store and much more...so much, that you must check out Fitz's on Main...a most welcome addition to our downtown! See you there!

Brooke

No comments: