Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mentoring...Not So Easy...

Today should have been my final day to meet with my mentee at one of local high schools, however, she bailed on me at the last minute. We were meeting at 2:30 and the text I received at 2:20 was "I went home". When I asked why, the reply was "Because I had nothing to do" Well, that "nothing" was me. After hours spent with her throughout the year, this was the big "thank you", the "whole enchilada" the culmination of all of OUR work--the end??

Let me back up by filling you in on some details...I volunteered to be a mentor last year and my time with my student began mid to late February. The purpose of the program is to take seniors that are "at risk" of not graduating, but are "close" and to help them stay the course until they graduate in June or take some summer school courses to make up what may have been missed. All in all, the goal is to obtain a high school diploma so that the ONE MILLION dollar drain on society can be prevented early on. Yes, folks, that's the number...that a high school drop-out will cost society around ONE MILLION dollars in their lifetime! So, when asked, I thought, heck yea, I want to be a part of preventing this.

My student has no discipline problems that I am aware of, attends class fairly regularly, but the thing that surprised me most with my student and the other mentors I spoke with was the general apathy and indifference towards school. No real perception on what not graduating means in their lives and no real perception on the reality of life, for that matter. No real consequences for actions or lack thereof...For example...senior project not completed? Oh well, didn't want to do it--so they don't! Kept the cell phone, still got to go to the prom, still gets to drive the car, still gets spending money, new clothes, etc.

I don't know what I expected but I did expect it to be somewhat of a two-way street, like someone who wants to graduate with a little help and motivation from an outside party. The mentors and mentees meet once or more a week, (if the student shows up) and then every mentor I spoke with texted, emailed and/or called their mentee throughout the week. It sounds as if overall, the program is successful and who knows, even if graduation doesn't occur there is no telling what the lasting impact on the student may be...it's possible that some snippet of information or encouragement stuck...

I have no idea as I write this whether or not my student will graduate, but I do know this---she could have! She was very smart, very capable and if all of the pieces of the puzzle had fallen into place and she had exerted a little of her own effort, this would be a win-win for everyone involved.

If you have the chance to mentor, I would recommend doing so...not only to help a student with accountability, but to get a taste of what is going on out there in the education system. Something has to give and as long as there are citizens out there willing to give of themselves, whether you full-fill the ultimate goal of graduation or not--I can say it WILL make a difference maybe in their life but definitely yours!

No comments: