Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Running from Something?

Ok, I've done it AGAIN...I'm a runner!?

For any of you who really know me, you know that last year, about this time I started running/walking/training for a 5k. Never been a runner, never wanted to be a runner, however, this is an item on my "bucket list" and I decided before I get too awfully old I need to cross this one off! During the course of training last year, I subscribed to a training plan called "From Couch to 5k"...it is an incremental plan that can be found online that gives daily training guidelines in order to work you up to being able to run successfully (which means FINISH) in a 5k. I made it last year up to about 3 weeks before the big 4th of July race in Kernersville, when I came down with a nasty respiratory virus/fever which kept me from exercising for almost 3 more weeks...then my grandmother passed away and there went the summer and all of my momentum and enthusiasm was sucked away like the last slurp of a frosty margarita. Done, finis, never to be picked up again? Not so...I am back with a vengeance and beginning week 4!

This year, I have started earlier, eating better and sticking with the plan like toothpaste on a sink...only 3 weeks left until the Kernersville 5k on March 27th! The runs are easier this year and I have fortunately had a running partner and a supportive husband which makes it more pleasurable. I now find myself pushing an extra minute or to the next stop sign rather than just doing the minimum...what does that mean? Am I a runner again? That's yet to be seen...however, when I received an email from a college roomie of mine asking me to do a half marathon in November, I didn't laugh it off immediately, I actually gave it a second thought...Am I crazy? Nah...just a runner!

No comments: