Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Not Ready to Let Go of Christmas 2010

For the past month, I have loved waking up to the mingled smell of coffee in the pot and fresh cut evergreen as it decorated our home. Jake would have the tree lit each morning before I woke and it was an inspiring sight. I will have to say, that this year, as far as decorations were concerned, I went a little overboard.

As a result of our home being on the market for the past few months, being under contract for two and then not closing, I decided that "Grinch be damned", I was DECORATING for Christmas, in addition to moving our stuff back in. I say that because normally, other than our tree and a few "homemade" items given to us by our daughter, we usually keep it simple. Not this year-not me.

I hired a very talented friend and former client of mine to decorate my banister, mantle, mailbox and to spruce up my tree and a large wreath. This was no simple undertaking. After giving her my Southern Living Christmas edition (hardback of course), I envisioned pineapples, pears, citrus fruits, magnolia, boxwood, holly and a variety of other fresh decor to grace my home to show that nothing would get me out of the spirit. Hours of toll led to an end product that was marvelous, simply stunning.

Fast forward almost 40 days later and let me just say, I was ready to move on. I took down most of the decor, but this year, unlike others...our tree still stands. It's fresh smell has left, but the lights still twinkle magically each morning as I enjoy my coffee in front of the fire. When will we take it down? Who knows, but this year, I want the beauty and serenity of this Christmas to linger. The Christmas message, the snow and the family and friends contributed to a relaxation over Christmas that was different than Christmases of the past and our tree symbolizes that for me...Jake is going to have a difficult time prying that last thing out of my grasp...funny thing is, I think he doesn't want to see it go either.

No comments: