Friday, January 21, 2011

Check Those Receipts! Those Mistakes Add Up!

A quick post today but important nonetheless...

Last Monday while on our way back from Raleigh, Jake, Maddie and I stopped by a couple of stores in order to allow Maddie to spend some of her Christmas cash on some items she had her eyes on.

First stop, a local sporting goods store where she was looking for a new water bottle to carry to school. As we cruised the endless supply of bottles, she finally laid hands on a great metal bottle that changed colors with varying temperatures (think Hypercolor). After waiting an inordinately long period of time in line, we finally reached the register. Maddie took out her "wad" of cash and began peeling off the 23 bills, all the while figuring in tax on the bottle that had a tag for $19.99. I was a proud mama! Keep in mind the line was still quite long and people were becoming impatient with waiting and Maddie was also feeling the pressure. The cashier informed us that $23.00 wasn't going to cut it and the total was $24 and some odd change...seemed a bit much on a $20 bottle but she whipped out two more ones, collected her change and moved on.

I gave her a thumbs up on the way out and reminded her that no matter how long the line is, count back your change and make sure you have the correct amount. Once in the car and back on I40, Maddie pipes up that she's been robbed. I am thinking that the purse of cash is now gone, but no, Maddie was charged two dollars more for her bottle than what was on the label attached. I informed her we would go back and make it right which was why it was important to take our time when at the register. Great learning lesson-right!

Fast forward to the early evening, when on the way home from Davie county, picking up the dog, we stopped at a grocery to buy plates for Maddie's chorus party the next day. Lesson learned mom or not! I bought the plates which were on sale for $2.77 with your rewards card (which I had and presented), when I hit the road I realized that I was charged $3 and some change for each pack.

Two times in one day! We'd been robbed! Seriously, just a reminder that it's easy to get caught up in tight time schedules and rushed errands, but in the course of one day our family lost at least two if not three dollars--easily a cup of coffee! In this day and time of computers, scanning and all sorts of other technology it is easy to think that because human error has been mitigated to a certain extent we can let down our guard on monitoring our charges! Not so! Now I know why my parents are so adamant about saving every receipt and still balancing their checkbook and credit card statements the old fashioned way--by paper! Maybe next time I'll learn my lesson!

No comments: