Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Float a Little Float...

Not down a river and not with a boat, it's 1000 pounds of salt, a capsule with a lid, pitch black and silent with the exception of your heartbeat and your breathing.  If this sounds like something science-fiction, well, it kind of is.  Studies using sensory-deprivation or floatation therapy began in the 1940's as a way to study the brain, essentially trying to see if the brain could be forced into a meditative state for a variety of reasons including therapeutic and medical reasons.  Today, floatation is used mainly for relaxation and meditation though it seems effective for certain medical conditions by alleviating anxiety and promoting healing.


Our first experience floating was encouraged by our herbalist and a living social coupon that was emailed to me. I purchased one for both Jake and myself.  We scheduled our sessions separately, as you typically don't float together.  Each session was booked for two hours to include prep time but our actual floating time was 60 minutes.  Upon arriving, you shower in a very spa-like setting that includes fresh towels, a spongy bath mat and sensory lights for each room so you don't worry about turning lights off and on. Once you enter the floating capsule you have control depending on your comfort level.  There is an intercom if you have questions, otherwise, you are alone to experience the process as you feel comfortable.  I was concerned about being claustrophobic, so I rolled up a towel and inserted it between the lid and the chamber giving me about 6 inches of air and space until I felt adjusted.  After what I believe to be 10 minutes I was comfortable enough to close the lid completely.


Because you are in 1000 pounds of Epsom salt, it is impossible not to float and it is effortless, unlike floating in the ocean or a pool.  With your arms in candlestick position, opening up your heart chakra, you immediately feel muscles relaxing and your body sinking into a comfortable and pressure-free state.  After a few more minutes you can't even tell where the water begins and the air and your body end.  The water is at your body temperature so there is no fear of getting too hot or cold. 


Each person's actual experience in the chamber is different and I don't want to artificially impose my experiences on you but I will say that I reached what I considered a low end meditative state that was still more intense than any dream or sleep that I had encountered.  I also feel that if I go back for future sessions that I will be more comfortable with the process and could reach a deeper state of meditation and relaxation.  I found this a great time to release thoughts, to pray, to be still and quiet.  All of which I rarely do. 


Upon exiting, there is one thing that Jake and I agreed was most overwhelming and that was the sensation of well-being.  Whether it's sitting in the salt an hour, absorbing magnesium, or just the passive relaxation without hands on you or music playing or light or other worldly distractions, it did seem to put things in perspective for a while.  Both us of see ourselves going back for future sessions.


I would definitely encourage anyone interested in trying this form of relaxation to give it a try. Locally, you can go to Kernersville Hot Yoga and use their chamber.  They sell individual floats and packages.  You might also want to check LivingSocial and Groupon for deals.  I leave you with the words from a sign in the chamber room that really touched me. As you consider whether or not this is for you, ask yourself, how often do you practice the following?


"Be Still and Know that I am GOD"

No comments: